Lead Spacecraft Harness Design Engineer
Millennium Space Systems, A Boeing Company delivers affordable, high-performance space systems for exacting customers. At Millennium, you will be part of a close-knit team working on exciting technological problems. We work in an open environment where ideas are shared across all disciplines, and there are ample opportunities for advancement based on excellence. Superstars are welcome.
At Millennium, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values. We're committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that's welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
As a Senior Spacecraft Harness Design Engineer, you will work with a small team on exciting and fast paced space missions. In this role, you will provide electrical wiring interconnect systems (EWIS) for our advanced research, development, and prototype division. You will be working in missions with continuous changing requirements and expectations, typical of research & development (R&D) environments, and support transitioning missions into high-rate production. We are looking for talented individuals who can manage complex interfaces and are willing to innovate. Talented individuals with strong foundations in cable & harness design and/or printed wiring board design, such as rigid printed circuit board or flex-based circuit board for our interconnect solutions. Our engineers possess a strong foundation and knowledge of space vehicle, spacecraft, and/or payload logical architecture. From proposal creation to designing schematics to working hands on in the harness lab to watching a satellite being pushed onto a truck and taken to the launch site, you’ll have a hand in it all.
This position's internal job code is Wire Design & Install Engineer. Our team is currently hiring for a level 2 - 3.
- Development & analysis of EWIS architectures for multiple programs and bus configurations from mission and scientific payloads to experimental LEO small sats to MEO constellations and GEO vehicles.
- Generation of subsystem or unit-to-unit electrical block diagrams.
- Definition and documentation of signal connectivity through cross functional coordination with system, subsystem, and product engineers for spacecraft harness or printed wiring board design.
- Selection of harness components and hardware, such connectors, backshells, and wire/cable based on applicable satellite mission requirements and industry standards.
- Performance of voltage drop analysis, power current derating, and capacitance circuit analysis for harness and printed wiring boards.
- Development and analysis of PCB designs determination board form factor, schematic capture, board stack determination, component placement and trace routing.
- Generation of rigid or rigid-flex PCB, PCB Assembly Drawings, fabrication & assembly output files (Geber, ODB++, etc.)
- Generation harness schematic diagrams, wire diagrams, and wire harness assembly drawings.
- Preparation and generation of harness acceptance testing procedures including the development of harness test scripts for cable testers.
- Participation of critical programmatic milestones (Preliminary Design Reviews, Critical Design Reviews, etc.) including the preparation of data packages, conduction of design reviews, and closure of any liens from the Milestone Decision Authority (MDA).
- Support assembly and testing of FlatSat and flight harnesses while reporting on cost and schedule performance.
- Capture of as-built, made on assembly mockup harness builds to produce 2D/3D formboards.
- Support with the creation, maintenance, or update of harness design, assembly, and test standards and command media.
- Support in proposals and business development efforts as the responsible engineering authority (REA).
- Management of external suppliers and subcontractors for harness and printed circuit board delivery.
- Bachelor's or higher degree in Electrical Engineering, related technical discipline considered.
- Minimum 2+ years of relevant engineering experience with Bachelor’s degree or possession of a higher degree with no work experience.
- Ability to create detail-oriented designs while not losing sight of the higher-level design requirements. Must be versatile and able to perform and manage multiple tasks and/or missions concurrently.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work effectively with others.
- Work and execute independently with some technical oversight.
- Ability to create/revise technical documents for programmatic or strategic tasking.
- Active DoD TS/SCI Clearance.
- Experience with the successful design and delivery of spacecraft or aircraft wire harnesses and/or printed circuit boards. Rigid-flex PCB design preferred.
- Experience with early life-cycle satellite engineering activities, spacecraft integration and test, and launch operations.
- Experience with Earned Value Management Systems (EVMS).
- Proficient using harness design software tools such as Mentor Graphics, E3 Zuken, or CATIA and with Microsoft Access and Visio.
- Proficient using PCB design software tools such as Nexus Zuken or Siemens Xpedition.
- Knowledge of harness design standards and specifications for spaceflight applications (MIL-HDBK-83575, MIL-HDBK-863, SAE AS50881, etc.).
- Knowledge of PCB design standard and specifications (IPC-2221, 2222, 2223, IPC-A-600, etc.)
- Knowledge of military standards of connectors, wires, and contacts for aerospace applications (MIL-DTL-38999, MIL-DTL-24308, MIL-DTL-83513, NEMA-WC27500, SAE-AS22759, etc.)
Please note that the salary information shown below is a general guideline only of what is reasonably expected to be paid for the position. Salaries are based upon candidate experience and qualifications, as well as market and business considerations.
- Level 2: $87,550 - $128,750
- Level 3: $104,550 - $153,750
Benefits and Perks
Millennium Space Systems offers a very competitive benefits package to include medical, dental, vision, and 401k plan. Relocation assistance to Southern California can be provided.
Before applying, please note:
Millennium is DDTC-registered, ITAR-compliant Company. This position is located at a facility that requires special access. Applicants MUST be U.S. citizens and eligible for a security clearance. Additionally, applicants must be willing to apply for and maintain a security clearance. We are proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage veterans, disabled veterans and disabled individuals to apply for any open position for which they feel they are qualified.