Mission Operations Engineer - Mid-Career (Colorado Springs, CO)
Millennium Space Systems, A Boeing Company delivers affordable, high-performance space systems for exacting customers. At Millennium, you will be part of a close-knit team working on exciting technological problems. We work in an open environment where ideas are shared across all disciplines, and there are ample opportunities for advancement based on excellence. Superstars are welcome.
At Millennium, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values. We're committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that's welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
As a Mission Operations Engineer, you will be the lead technical authority for Millennium’s on-orbit spacecraft. Your work will focus on the launch and on-orbit operations of a satellite constellation, including passivation of older vehicles and the integration of newly launched satellites. You will be responsible for all facets of the mission design, including update of operational concepts, development and test of on-orbit procedures, and innovation of advanced methods of spacecraft operation unique to each space mission – heavily focused on automation. Mission Operations requires composure in high-pressure situations, in-depth knowledge of both the space vehicles and ground segment, and an ability to respond to anomalous scenarios in real-time. You will be directly responsible for Millennium’s critical on-orbit assets.
This position will be located in Colorado Springs, Colorado. You will be integral in building a team of engineers and experts to support in-flight programs and grow the location over time. As such, this position requires a highly motivated problem solver who can work independently and efficiently, with a focus on system engineering and satellite sustainment. This position will require up to six months at our headquarters in El Segundo, CA for training.
This position's internal job code is Systems Engineer. Our team is currently hiring for levels 3-4.
- Support current program execution, from integration and test, space vehicle shipment, launch and on-orbit operations, to decommissioning
- Flow lessons learned and updates back to the factory to incorporate in future iterations and programs
- Define ground and mission operations requirements, and flow mission requirements back to the space vehicle
- Define mission concept of operation and design reference missions
- Design the ground segment, including command and control, mission planning, mission data processing, and the associated infrastructure to support all activities
- Design space vehicle fault and autonomy, including fault detection and response, autonomous space vehicle behavior, and on-board command and control
- Develop and implement methods of operational automation, to reduce day-to-day operator responsibilities
- Create and execute space vehicle simulator tests to validate mission/fault/autonomy design
- Create and execute in-factory flight vehicle tests to validate mission design compatibility with flight hardware
- Conduct critical ground segment testing, including radio-frequency compatibility testing, remote ground facility interface testing, and acceptance testing of critical ground assets/locations
- Design and validate the mission “sequence of events” for bus commissioning, payload checkout/calibration, and mission operations
- Plan and lead formal Mission Rehearsal events to train the mission team and to validate the mission design
- Lead a team of spacecraft and subsystem engineers during launch and early orbit activities to commission the space vehicle(s) for service
- Perform duties of lead technical authority during mission operations for both the space and ground segments
- Focal for customer and internal leadership during critical mission activities
- Provide oversight of nominal on-orbit operations for part of Millennium’s fleet of on-orbit spacecraft
- Support occasional off-nominal working hours during critical 24/7 mission operations activities
- This position requires an active U.S. Top Secret Security Clearance (U.S. Citizenship Required). (A U.S. Security Clearance that has been active in the past 24 months is considered active)
- B.S. in Aerospace, Electrical, Software, Computer, Mechanical Engineering, or related field
- 2 years experience in satellite operations, satellite system engineering, or equivalent
- Experience with real-time satellite command and control
- Working knowledge of satellite subsystems, ground systems, space missions
- Experience delivering operational products to customer environments
- M.S. in Aerospace, Electrical, Software, Computer, Mechanical Engineering, or related field
- 4 years experience in satellite operations, satellite system engineering, or equivalent
- High level of organization, self-motivation, and an ability to manage many projects in parallel
- Experience in leading multidisciplinary technical teams, especially to resolve anomalous scenarios
- Experience with external customer briefing/interfacing
- Deep knowledge of satellite systems engineering, including all satellite subsystems
- Guidance, Navigation, and Control; Electrical Power; Thermal Control; Telemetry, Tracking, and Command; Propulsion; etc.
- Experience with Spacecraft Command & Control software systems
- Experience with iterative and agile processes
- Knowledge of orbital dynamics, maneuver planning, and orbit determination techniques
- Experience designing fault detection and response, as well as designing space vehicle autonomy
- Familiarity with software and scripting tools such as MATLAB, Python, C/C++, Java, etc
Please note that the salary information shown below is a general guideline only of what is reasonably expected to be paid for the position. Salaries are based upon candidate experience and qualifications, as well as market and business considerations.
- Level 3: $104,550 - $153,750
- Level 4: $128,350 - $188,750
Benefits and Perks
Millennium Space Systems offers a very competitive benefits package to include medical, dental, vision, and 401k plan.
Before applying, please note:
Millennium is DDTC-registered, ITAR-compliant Company. This position is located at a facility that requires special access. Applicants MUST be U.S. citizens and eligible for a security clearance. Additionally, applicants must be willing to apply for and maintain a security clearance. We are proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage veterans, disabled veterans and disabled individuals to apply for any open position for which they feel they are qualified.